.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A catastrophe

  Although most of the roads today were blocked, I was going to a friend of mine, since his house is pretty near I didn't think the roads would be much of a problem, so my thought was to get to the main street and get a ride from there, but my idea was proven wrong when I got there, because the street was overcrowded, but there were no cars there, only people. Today is a big religious event for Shiites in Iraq, they would all march to a place in Baghdad called Kazimia.




  So there was no way I could go by car, but the scene was nice, I stood there watching for a while, then I went back, called my friend so he could come pick me up from a different route. When I was at his house, his father suddenly entered the room and said "Come watch the news, quickly". Ok so this is the news. Ok now although you will read the article, but I have a few things to add. The local TV news station said it all began when some mortars fell on a nearby park, so people started running everywhere saying there was an attack, the news quickly traveled until it reached the bridge. Some people on the bridge started screaming that there was a bombed car on the bridge, or there were some terrorists on the bridge, in a few seconds later chaos was everywhere, and people started running everywhere, pushing each other off the bridge or stepping on each other, total CHAOS. Many fell of the bridge, some rumors tell that a part of the bridge fell over, so hundreds of people fell off the bridge into the river Dijla, most of them drowned.


For me I don't know what to say for those people killed, but the truth is they can finally rest, they will rest from all the suffering the Iraqis are facing like electricity, water and benzene. But I fell so sorry when I think of those people with families, or for the children who came with their fathers and mothers, I'm a Sunni myself, but I do have a heart, and it is bleeding now.



Note: This post has been emailed to my Email List subscribers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bassam Sebti said...

Hassan,
My heart is bleeding as well. When I watched the news first on my news wires account, I was shocked and started screaming in the office, "A disaster, a disaster!".
I just cannot imagine that. It is so scary. It is the worst. These people were poor and they just follow their traditions and try to practice their rituals peacefully. I suffered until I reached the office in the morning because of the streets they blocked and I was so angry, although I am a Shiite, but when I saw what happened, I was completely shocked and imagined how many wives became widows and children became orphans.
The wound is getting bigger and I am afraid that we will not be able to control it. I have just told my friend that I pray May God takes all the resources away from Iraq. These are the reasons behind the disasters that make us miserable. Everyone is greedy and wants to control this country because of these resources which the people never enjoyed. Nobody cares about us my dear, even the Americans who claimed that they came to liberate us.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Omar Fekeiki said...

Average Iraqi,
I loved your blog. it is a real image of what life looks like in Baghdad and Iraq. On the catastrophic day, i also posted some thoughts. I just don’t believe what had happened that day. Also, I didn’t like the way the government handled the situation. Officials exchanged accusations, but no one admitted it was the government’s fault. Hundreds of Iraqis killed that day, but no one cared. All what they cared about is to clear themselves of the guilt. Bu I still say, Iraq has you, me, and others who will stand and defend our heritage, present time, and future. If we couldn’t get our life arranged, we should pave the way to the next generation. Keep on the right track and write more. The world is listening to us.
If you like to visit my blog, it is: twentyfourstepstoliberty.blogspot.com

7:00 PM  
Blogger Murphy loe said...

We are proud to say that all our products are not displayed online without going through an intensive quality assurance process.
Buy clonezapam powder online
Buy cocaine online
Buy bio cocaine online
actavis-promethazine-codeine for sale online
Buy cocaine online
Buy marijuana online
Buy Martian Moonrock online
Buy kurupts moonrock online
Buy blue dream online
Buy Death Star Marijuana online
Buy vyvanse online
Buy ritalin online
Buy Godfather OG online
Buy Pineapple Express online

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home