.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Saturday, September 03, 2005

IN HIS EYES

  A few days ago I read a comment that was posted by The Kid Himself, the comment was posted to Encounters post. He said:


"Nice blog, i am linking to u....Keep on writing but i have a bit of a suggestion about ur average Iraqi plot device, why don't u write him in stories? i feel that u have not used this to its full extent...So far u have only said the Average Iraqi would do so-and-so in such a situation, while u could give him more detailed features (average Iraqi features, write from his own perspective, how he reacts to certain situations, BE HIM)..."


That got me thinking, "Now why didn't I think of that". I really liked the idea, and that is when I came up with the idea of these post, IN HIS EYES. These posts are going to be stories that are told by people I know, other Average Iraqis. Before I get into the post, I would like to take a minute to announce the beginning of a new Iraqi blogger: Baghdad Treasure is my newest Iraqi Blogger Friend. Back to the post:


  "I depend on my car for my living, no I'm not a taxi, am more like a driver. I work for a company and I only drive certain people, but when I don't anything better to do, I might stop for a ride or two. So here I'm in a usual afternoon in Baghdad, I was supposed to go refuel the car, but the fuel station was closed for lunch, so I though I should go find something better to do, and come back in half an hour or so to get back in the queue. So when I saw him waving his hands for taxi, I decided I would stop and see where he is going, if it was far I have to refuse. But it was near, and the guy looked like a decent kind of guy, so I wasn't worried when I picked him up. He asked me to stop once for a smoke, gave me one, told him I don't smoke, really nice. When we reached the place he wanted to get off, I stopped the car, and then everything happened quickly.


  "He jumped at me, grabbed my hand with one of his arms, and with his free hand unlocked my door. I don't know where the other one came from, but he was ready, he opened the door, and hit my with the back of his gun, by that time I was coming out of shock so I caught his arm, but the other one pushed me out of the car, and kept yelling at his partner; "Kill him!!! Finish him". I don't know why he didn't, but by that time, I was exhausted, I'm too old for this. He pulled me out of the car, hit me again, at the same place and left me. I remember hearing the sound of my car's engine coming back to life, and then sounds became a blur. For a few minutes I stayed there, then I stood up, looked around but there was no one, I walked hardly back to the main street, but I didn't have any money with me, my head was all blood and it was dripping on my clothes too. Someone stopped his car for me, he drove me to a friends house, where I cleaned myself a bit, borrowed some money and got home".


  "What can I say, the car is now gone, I will file the theft, not for the hope that it might be found, because I'm pretty sure it is gone forever, but I want to be sure that if someone uses it for something illegal the police won't come to me saying that this is your car and you have done such and such with it."


Please remember, that I'm not the one who had this experience, it is some other Iraqi, in which I have told his story like he is saying it. The Kid Himself thanks for this idea, I hope I'm getting it right...



Note: This post has been emailed to my email List Subscribers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Omar Fekeiki said...

now, your readers will have an idea on what is happening to Average Iraqis. i would suggest that you talk to women also, not only men. keep going, would be great if you try to talk to people you age and mine and see how youth are doing.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home