.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Monday, September 05, 2005

IN HER EYES:The Big Day

  Today I went to the university, this is the first day of the second attempt exams. I saw most of my friends, they either came to take the exams, or they came just for the same reason that I did, to see each other. It's amazing how much someone might look different to you, after not seeing him for 3 months. I myself has changed during the months I spend at engineering field training. Well, since I don't have anything of much significance to post, I think I'll try a second IN HIS EYES post. The hero here is a friend of mine, that has just tried the second attempt, because she couldn't try the first one as the roads for her house were blocked at the time.


"My house is in Salman Pack... Just outside of Baghdad. That has always made it a problem for me to reach the university, for a boy it might be easy to take a taxi and get to the university by his own, but a girl's life in Iraq is different from a boy's one. I can't take the taxi on my own, so when the roads are blocked, or when the car is down, I don't go to the university. One such day was on the first day of the first attempt exams three months ago, what could I have done, I had to go back to the house, and start studying for the next exam, like nothing has happened.


"I knew from the day I skipped the exam that I was going to face a tough challenge at the second attempt, I don't know why, but it is a habit in Iraq that the second attempt exams are always impossible. I spent those three months preparing for this day, it is after all my Big Day. It is strange how you feel that all the information you have memorized or studied would disappear in a flash before you inter the classroom, but they all get back when you see the questions on the printed paper...


"My friends always tell me that I'm a high maintenance person, and that was exactly what I was that day. When the professor asked us if anyone had a question about the questions, I asked him a million one, I didn't leave a dot or a comma without double checking it, no diagram and no table was left behind, I even checked if the question were put in a single paper or two papers. Finally the professor asked me to shut up and just answer the questions however I want, because he had other classrooms he had to check, and if I kept going, the time will be up and he will not be able to check them out. I laughed in myself, he was right, I was too excited and too stressed to make any decision by myself that day. Finally I did fairly well, considering that one of the questions came from a chapter we hadn't seen earlier, and it wasn't included in the first term exams, why would he do something like that. Although I was frustrated when I first saw it, but I calmed down when I saw that the questions had an option which would allow me to pick five questions out of seven to solve them. So I think I have done all I could do, now I have to sit, pray and wait until the results come..."



Note:this post has been emailed to my Email List subscribers.

3 Comments:

Blogger cile said...

way to gooo! ;)

11:15 PM  
Blogger Bassam Sebti said...

Hey Hassan,

This post reminds me with the old days of the college although the situation wasn't like that. That's true. It's a problem that a student misses an exam he or she was preparing for it during the whole year. But, don't you think she should be leaving to college pretty early to catch the exam as she knows her house is far from the college and that the roads in Iraq are subjected to blockage in any moment?
I hope she won't fall in the same trouble next time. Wish you all luck in your studies.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Omar Fekeiki said...

I hope she passes. I really appreciate the work you do to post these amazing stories. I have one thing to say here. You mentioned two notable problems people face in Iraq, a girl's life, and the blocked roads. But you didn’t focus on them and left the end of the post ambiguous. I would suggest that you end your post with a sentence that is called "kicker" which would redraw your reader's attention to your main idea, which in this case a girl lost her first exam and had to go back to summer school.
For instance, to get a quote from her saying "I pray that I pass. This is the last chance I have after I lost the first attempt. I tried to avoid blocked roads in my route this time."
But after all, your blog is one of the nice readings I do everyday now.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home