.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Another Iraqi Blogger joins the blogsphere

     Yeah, I know Saddam's trial is on TV now, but it has been postponed to November 28. No use me trying to tell what happened, it was on every TV channel we have. Anyway, I don't think it will have anything more than a moral effect.


     On other news, my efforts to convince some of my college friends to get a blog has finally paid off. Today my best friend Samy has finally started a blog. However his blog is going to be mostly in Arabic, since his English is not very good. I will translate some of his posts if I think they are worth it. Go say hello to him, even if you can't read the post.


     Oh and something else. Want to hear me talk. My interview with the BBC is finally online, but it won't be for much. So if you want to hear my voice you better hurry. Here is the Link. Although I kept stumbling at first, but I think I did good for my first Radio interview.



Note: This post has been emailed to my Email List subscribers.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow....that was great hearing the voice behind these posts! You did a great job and your English is really good! sis from the usa

11:42 PM  
Blogger Mad Canuck said...

Hey Hassan,

I finally got to listen to your interview. You definitely got prime billing in that radio show. It's funny how the interviewer feigned surprise - he did the interview just a couple of days ago, I'm sure he knew how you voted before he asked the question!

Perhaps one reason they were so interested in you is that (in their words) you "defy the stereotypes" people read about in the news. The news media here tend to paint a very simplistic picture of ethnic and sectarian divisions in Iraq, and don't seem to realize that Iraqis are not robots and that you can't simply brand an Iraqi a "Sunni" or "Shia" or something else and use that to figure out how he/she will think. Your blog and radio shows like this one you participated in go a long way to dispel those types of stereotypes.

I agree with you on the whole federalism concept. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. The United States is a federation of 50 semi-autonomous states, each of which has its own consitution, its own criminal code, and greater independence than the regions the draft Iraqi constitution lays out, and yet the US has managed to last a long time this way. If the US can survive this long with 50 states, Iraq can easily do so with three.

Congratulations on getting interviewed by the BBC - this is a really big accomplishment!

5:57 AM  
Blogger Jack B. said...

That was a great interview, Hassan. Your voice isn't all like I thought it would be (I thought it would sound younger for some reason) but your English is great and so were your points.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think we knew you when.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Hassan said...

Melantrys,

Wow, I think you just scored the highest comments I have recieved from a single reader in one post.. hehee..

Libby,

Yeah, I managed to smile once. I was really stressed, first interview and it is going national. No stress there...

Sis,
Thank you, hope you hear my voice again in simialar occasions..

Dear MD,

Thank you very much for always being there for me...

Jack,

Don't let the voice fool you, my voice sounds younger when you hear it. You can easily tell who is older me or my father when you hear our voices..


Chele,

Don't know if it is you or not, I don't see a link. Anyway I don't get your comment..

11:46 PM  
Blogger cile said...

hey hassan, chele is not cile! in case this is what the confusion is about ;)
you have a great voice, i liked the interview, and i like the fact that more people listened to it. maybe the BBC should consider keeping these kind of interviews in an ever-online box. (they'll probably read this? :) hasta presto!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Morbid Smile said...

Heeeeey Hassan! That was a great interview. It's cool to keep reading someone's posts and then you get to hear his voice in an interview.. I had an interview with the CNN last year, but there is no link for it!! :(

Keep up the good work

1:19 AM  
Blogger pesematology said...

Hi! I am an American who just started reading your blog today, and I think it's great and your interview was great, so I just want to show support. Keep up the good work!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another words ..
I knew you before you were famous.....

Before you were on the radio..

Heheheh

Sorry I messed the link up that time..
m

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home