.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Friday, October 14, 2005

One day to the Referendum

     I won't write a long post. Today I didn't go out of the house today. No one did. The streets are deserted, the city is almost frozen. You don't go out unless you have something necessary. Today at 10 Pm the curfew starts and ends tomorrow morning about 6 AM. Cars are not allowed tomorrow, so we are going to walk to the voting center. But it is going to be a long walk. The center is almost a kilometer and a half from the house. Bikes are not allowed either. My mom jokingly said that we should all go together, so if we die we die together.


     I have decided to vote yes for the constitution. I know it still has a few wrong things in it, and that it hadn't been written in the same manner as it should have been, but it will work. You don't refuse a constitution unless you know it will not work. But this one will work. Especially after the changes on Wednesday, which has made it easier to change some of it's parts after it is accepted. Plus, I have gotten tired of this situation, and refusing the constitution will not change it. Maybe going further will.



Note: This post has been emailed to my Email List subscribers.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and to your family, Hassan, for being a part of this. This is a very big deal, the type of event which makes history tremble.

Please let us know when you've returned safely. My wife and I will be watching the results with interest.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Mad Canuck said...

Hey Hassan,

Mark is right, this is a big deal. You'll probably be telling your grandkids about this time in 50 years or so.

I hope everything goes okay with the voting today, and that you and your family stay safe.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Voting is a wonderful political process that is for the people. A person has to really pay attention to the issues, and when they decide to vote, vote what they think is best for there country and themselves. Congratulations to you and your family for be being so brave, and setting an example of democracy that can not be stopped. Once the wheels have been put in motion nothing can stop it.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home