.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Just Had to Break the Rules

     I went out today, to shop and store anything we might need for the coming days. You never know what could happen. If something really goes wrong, and we get trapped in our house for a week or so, I wouldn't want to run out of food. Although today was not the day our car could move. But I had a feeling I could get away with it, and I did. I went through side roads only, not through any main street where a checkpoint or a traffic police could find me. Already the streets are beginning to look emptier. Most government facilities are going off these days. Primary schools, high schools and universities are all postponing their study until after the seminars.


     I went near the local voting center too, to see how are things around. Seems like the people there are practicing for a big load. Although I didn't see any guards or anything. Maybe they will be deployed later. They shouldn't take the security matter easily. One big boom in the morning that kills a few people at a voting center, and people will drop voting and go home. It's real easy. I think when the day comes, I will be going early to make sure those damned terrorists don't have time to put their bombs and whatever they have. I want to vote, but I want to survive to see the results too.


     The government has not done it's job in spreading the constitution as it should have done. Sure I can find it on the internet and probably on some newspapers and magazines. But that isn't enough. How many people will buy that specific magazine, and how many Iraqis can find it through the web. So instead of reading it, people are depending on what the politicians are saying about it, which is a sure wrong thing. Some politicians will criticize the constitution just to get a second chance to get inside the government when the constitution is refused. While the current government is doing it's possible to make sure this constitution is accepted. Right now, Iraqis abroad are not allowed to vote, mainly because most of them are sunnis who refuse the constitution. So it is down to politics. I don't know about anyone else, but my definition of politics is, "It is an open rules game played between the politicians to get what they want".



Update:


     Almost a week ago, Sunnis demanded certain changes to the constitution be made, some of those demands will make the constitution more flexible to change once the new government is elected. These demands were accepted today.



Note: This post has been emailed to my Email List subscribers.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hasan

Just a correction. Most of the Iraqis how live abroad are actually Shia. I don't know the exact reason for not arranging for them to vote.I will let you know if I learn about it.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jack B. said...

Hassan, what did you think of the changes? Were they really necessary from your perspective? I notice one of them will be amendments to the Constitution later. I'm glad that one at least all sides can agree to.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh lord I just worry about you every day..
You are the only Iraqi I know...
m

6:51 AM  
Blogger Hassan said...

Anon,
Well most of the people abroad I know are Sunni. But still the point is why are they not allowed to vote..


Jack Bennet,
The changes are not as important to the contsitution as it is important to the poeple. Those changes will make a lot of people change their minds about the constitution and vote for it.


Dear Chele
I will be fine don't worry about me. I read your blog everyday it is amazing.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Eric Wilner said...

"So instead of reading it, people are depending on what the politicians are saying about it, which is a sure wrong thing."
Alas, this is how voting usually seems to work, and not just for the general public. All too often, our (U.S., California) legislatures will pass big complicated bills that few of the legislators (who, after all, are paid to do such things) have actually read. Laws are routinely passed on the basis of sensational, and conspicuously false, claims made by the supporters.
Democracy is a seriously flawed system, but the alternatives are even worse....

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What proportion of people would be able to read it anyway? From what I hear, 60% of Iraqis today are illiterate, due to Saddam's neglect of the schools. If so, this is a very big problem for the country.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hassan,

Maybe you ought to run for office. You appear to have the coolest head in Iraq.:)

MikeG

8:59 PM  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2015-12-30keyun
retro 11
oakley sunglasses
michael kors handbags
ugg australia
ugg for women
louis vuitton purses
gucci handbgs
canada goose
celine handbags
canada goose sale
coach factory outlet
uggs for women
louis vuitton outlet
ugg boots
abercrombie & fitch
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton
air max 95
ugg outlet
the north face jackets
uggs australia
coach outlet online
louis vuitton outlet stores
louis vuitton outlet stores
louis vuitton outlet
uggs on sale
michael kors outlet online
michaek kors
coach outlet
nike free 5.0
canada goose outlet
chanel outlet
christian louboutin shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
uggs sale
michael kors outlet
cheap jordans
vans sneakers
oakley outlet
concord 11

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home