.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Saturday, September 24, 2005

A Woman's Life in Baghdad Part I

  An interview with a woman from Iraq, this idea is actually Cile's idea. She gave the questions, I asked, the woman answered.


  Tell us how was your life before the war, what was positive then, and what was negative, compare it to the current situation.



"As much as the situation before the war was bad, I prefer it to the presents situation. Before the war, the main problems we had in daily lives, was the disappearance of ethics, bribes in the authorities, and mistreatment to the citizens by them. This was due to the low financial income for most Iraqis. The management of these authorities was also incapable in terms of education and efficiency.


"The positive sides o the situation before the war were, mostly security. Robberies, kidnappings, killings and hijackings were low or none. As for the current situation, the financial income of Iraqis has risen noticeably, and the management of authorities, are trying to put the right men in the right places, honest, educated and experienced.


"Personally I prefer the situation before the war on the present situation, because safeness is something irreplaceable. Everyday, when my husband and kids go to their work or schools, I stay home, worried about them from suicide attacks, hijackings and getting shot by Americans. Hijacking is not something new to us, my two kids were hijacked roughly a year ago, and one of my kids almost got kidnapped in the process. So I prefer Saddam on the present situation."



Note: This post has been sent to my Email List subscriber. Note that I have just upgraded my email list, and now it will be sent as HTML, not plain text. Meaning you will be able to see the post just like it is online.


Test

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the founders of American Democracy Benjamin Franklin, wrote over two centuries ago:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

This means that if you would give up important freedoms so that you could be safe for a while, you deserve to be neither free nor safe.

This woman will realize this when she can truly live in freedom. As long as the terrorists are in Iraq and as long as the American troops occupy Iraq, you will not experience true freedom. One day, Hassan, the terrorist will be under control and the American troops will be able to come home. On that day, Hassan, you and the woman you interviewed will thank God that you are free.

1:44 AM  
Blogger ~Nancy~ said...

Personally I prefer the situation before the war on the present situation, because safeness is something irreplaceable

I do not remember feeling safe at all during Saddam's regime...in fact, what I remember is having my dad park our two cars in our garden instead of the actual garage (which totally destroyed the garden by the way) to make it harder for robbers if they try to steal them...I remember hearing stories of people getting killed in the street b/c they were wearing leather jackets and the thieves (whom Saddam released from jails randomly to create more chaos and fear in the country) wanted to steal it...as for kidnappings, well I very much recall when the principal's assistant at my school was kidnapped (from her car I think?) and returned only after two days and after demanding a huge compensation.

so maybe the fear and insecurity in Iraq these days is DIFFERENT from before, but do not tell me that it is worse off now than it was during Saddam's regime.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Najma said...

Nancy, try living here for a day..
Believe me, you have no idea how it is. I had an idea how it was, and have a better idea on how it is now.
People outside can't judge. And if your relatives here tell you it's safer now, it's only not to make you worry..

3:15 PM  
Blogger ~Nancy~ said...

Najma,
my relatives certainly do NOT tell me it's safer now in Iraq, and I did not say that it is...I just said that people have different kind of fears now than they did during the Saddam era, but just because it's different does not make it worse...for example, which is worse: getting killed by a suicide bomber or getting killed by robbers? the answer is you can't really say one is worse than the other because in either case the result was the same-the death of the person...see my point?

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read what you wrote i couldnt help my self from lugh yuo think that saddam s time was good were on earth you where you couldnt go to mansour street at night becauose of uday you coudnt say no to the bathyst when the drag your son to melitia etc so i think you'r in the wrong side and the wrong say thanks for reading this

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God I left when I did. Thank God for the USA where I ended 24 years ago, and that's where my life started. Thank God for the country that opened it's arms for me and took me as one of it's own. I look at that comment about Saddam's era being better than the present and hear it from some other people, and go into a stream of thinking how the human mind work. Are these people for real, I think most people that say before was better are either living in a denial or kids under the age of comprehention.I say as Ahmed said what the hell are you talking about....wassalam

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

China Wholesale has been described as the world’s factory. This phenomenom is typified by the rise ofbusiness. Incredible range of products available with China Wholesalers “Low Price and High Quality” not only reaches directly to their target clients worldwide but also ensures that wholesale from china from China means margins you cannot find elsewhere and buy products wholesaleChina Wholesale will skyroket your profits.wedding dressescheap naruto cosplayanime cosplaycheap Gemstone Jewelry

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home