.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Saturday, September 10, 2005

IN HIS EYES: An Average Iraqi meets a not so Average Iraqi

  This is a real story that happened during the years Saddam was in power. I was telling it yesterday to my friend Mad Canuck, and that was when the idea of turning it into a post evolved, he was the one with the suggestion to make it an IN HIS EYES post, I really liked the idea, and here it is in a post. I hope you enjoy:

"I'm the manager of one of the steam based Iraqi electric plants, I remember clearly that day, we were running low on steam, which made our production less than 100%, and I was running everywhere trying to find a solution to the problem, then, the phone rang at my office, announcing that someone "Really high up" was coming to the plant today. OH CRAP. The last thing I need now, is someone in power going through the plant and asking, why haven't you done that and that. Not to mention that I might lose my head today, if HE didn't like something here.


"That someone was Hussein Kamel, he was the minister of industry at that time, someone that has only went as far as primary school, then quit studying, anything could go wrong if he misunderstood something. As I was showing him around, I kept trying to sound in charge, the man for the job, maybe I'll through the day that way. The he asked:



HK: "So I see, but you haven't told US the reason why the plant is not going on full power"   Easy one


AVIRAQI: "Well sir, the plant is going low on steam"   I said the whole phrase in Arabic, but I said the word (steam) in English.


HK: "Is that the only reason???"   One is enough


AVIRAQI: "Yes sir, steam is our only problem now.."


HK: "Alright then, I'll get you all the steam you need"   What the....

He turned to his bodyguard

HK:"Issue these orders: I want all the steam in the country packed up and brought to this plant, NOW."   Oh my GOD, didn't see that coming..


"He left the plant, unaware of his fault, as I was TERRIFIED to tell him. Later in the evening, a presidential order was issued, that no technician was allowed anymore to speak any foreign word in front of any government employee..."


Note: This post has been emailed to my Email List subscribers.

5 Comments:

Blogger BigLeeH said...

Funny story, thanks.

Slight typo: last paragraph should read, in part, "any foreign word".

7:11 PM  
Blogger Hassan said...

OOOOOOOps.....

Thank you BigLeeH.. These things don't show on spell checker, and I should have read it once more.. Thank you....
Ummm. George, the minister was thinking that the country did have some steam lying around... hehehe..

8:17 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

i can only imagin how the poor bodygard must've felt

take care

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful story..
even told it to my half sleeping husband and he laughed..
m

10:07 PM  
Blogger Bassam Sebti said...

Hassan, this is wonderful. I put myself in his shoes and I said to myself, Oh my goodness!! What if he discovers the malfunction?
You know what, your story reminded me with a similar incident by former head of Baghdad Municipality, Samir Shaikhly. My cousin, a medical college student, told me that Shaikhli visited their college once and asked why there were many students in the yard. A naughty student answered him "We have off, Sir". Then Shaikhli said, "I want to see professor off. Why didn't he call his students for the lecture?" everyone started laughing then!
Thanks man for these stories.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home