.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Average Iraqi

An Average Iraqi is just a fictional character whose....well, fictional. I will use this character to make a comparison between him and real human beings like myself or any one else.

Name:Hassan
Location:Baghdad, Iraq

My name is Hassan Kharrufa. I am a 20 year old Iraqi student. I study civil engineering at the Department of Building and Construction at Al-Jami3a Al-Taknologia (The Tecknology Univirsity), Baghdad, Iraq.

Iraqi Bloggers BiographyUpdated November 11

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Where are you M??

     Ok, I have finally figured out why I couldn't post. It seems that there are some incompatibility with Opera. Which I use as a browser. I guess I am going to be forced back to Internet Explorer. Oh well.


     It was 12:10 Am when the cell rang. I had just prayed the dinner prayer and was going to sleep. I was surprised when it rang. This is not a usual time for it to ring. I ran to it, and looked at the name calling. It was a friend of mine named S*****. (I'll just call him S.). Who doesn't call me much. So I was surprised that he was calling at this hour. I answered the call.


Hassan:"Hello S."
S:"Hello Hassan, hey tell me do you have M's cell number"
Hassan:"M??? Uhh no, but I thought you had it?"
S:"I do. But I can't call him. He went out this morning and went to Al-Mansour. He hadn't returned yet.."
Hassan:"WHAT??. But it is past midnight. If he hadn't returned then something bad must have happened to him"
S:"Look, you are closer to his region than I am. I will give you his cell number try dialing. Maybe you can reach him. I haven't been able to reach him. His parents has gone crazy."
Hassan:"Okay okay. Give it to me, let me see what I can do."

     I hung up. Thinking of the worst. I began dialing M's number. This was weird this was a guy that I have never called before. I wouldn't even know if it was him or not anyway. His phone was being reported shut down. This sometimes happened if the cell coverage is poor. But after the 15th try, I gave up trying. Feeling helpless, I retailed S.


S:"Hey Hassan, did you get to him???"
Hassan:"No... I can't reach him. Seems like his phone is off."
S:"Damn. Where the hell is he??"
Hassan:"I feel sorry for his family. Thy will have to wait till the morning in order to do something."
S:"His father is in Emirates. But he is going to come to Iraq tomorrow to help search for him."
Hassan:"Poor guy. He probably is leaving all his work undone. I hope he is well."

     I hung up again. Feeling helpless again. I had to go to sleep since I was going to wake up early the next day. When I went to college this morning. M didn't show up. S was a mess. I don't know how he could show up at all. Right now. It is 9:00 Pm. More than 24 hours since he went missing. I called S a few minutes. He told me that strangers has called his uncle's house, and told them that they have kidnapped M. But they didn't tell a ransom. It is their way to make the parents wait in agony until they make one. Those people don't treat the Iraqis they kidnap well, they might treat a foreigner good, but never an Iraqi. They might not even bother to give him more than one meal a day. I pray for his safety.



Note: This post has been emailed to my Emailing List subscribers.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking for a better browser than Internet Explorer you should check out Mozilla Firefox if it's available to you, it's what I use and it's awsome...not a lot of people know about it yet but it is gaining in popularity and it's compatible with pretty much everything as far as I know. You can put bookmarks right on your toolbar and cool little things like that.
Maple Leaf

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say except we will pray.
I am so sorry..
m

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jack B. said...

I'm sorry for your friend, Hassan, I hope he is returned safely. And I second the reccomendation of Firefox, I use it all the time now - its far better than IE.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im praying for you friend. He will be in my thoughts in the days ahead and hopefully, he will be returned unharmed. This burns my heart.
Kelly

8:41 PM  
Blogger Bassam Sebti said...

That's awful. This is why my parents always worry about me. It's a big problem. Safety is very important but it's totally missing in this country. Only God's mercy would help us all. I pray for him, he is just a student for God's sake!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Najma said...

Now where's M? Still kidnapped?
Haven't they claimed a ransom yet?
Anymore details?
I don't know why, but M's story is giving me some worry.. Still praying, expanded the prayer to include the family..
Just bring him back, safe and sound, and make the monther's heart happy!

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home